Thursday 17 September 2015

Who is who

Over the next few days we shall give you an overview of who is who within Sent with Love, the team consists of Sarah (that's me), Shelley, and Sues.

Today we shall starting with myself, Sarah. 

It was December 2012 when I was diagnosed with a sarcoma, a rare form of cancer found in my nerves. It came as a complete shock to myself and my family, I never thought my pain would be down to anything so serious and was rather naive even when having scans looking for malignancies. 

Mere weeks later I had surgery to remove two tumours and started a long period of rehabilitation. I lost most of the use of my left hand due to one tumour but I was determined to learn to crochet. A hard enough challenge with two working hands never mind just one! 

I soon received my blanket from my internet friends, two of whom you will be hearing about later, and just felt so much love from that parcel, it really was the nicest feeling ever, that something so beautiful came from something so awful,but it inspired me. I wanted to share the feeling that I had received with blanket zero. That others could feel the love and care I felt from receiving something crafted by others I'd never met, that there is good in the world, and that people can genuinely care for someone they have never met. 

In April 2014 I had surgery called an opponensplasty, to enable me to pinch grip things. It's safe to say it worked because about 6 months later I managed to crochet a square, more recently I've made blankets for a new nephew, (who is gorgeous) and a friends little girl who has born two days later. My first fully complete projects of which I'm very proud. 

I'm often asked if my blanket reminds me of cancer, I can honestly say no, just a time where I found who my true friends were, and the overwhelming love and care that can be shown by people, even those you don't know. 

Cancer may have been the worst thing to affect my life but it's taught me much more. I am more than my previous job title (teacher for what it's worth). I'm caring, strong minded and I want to change the world, one blanket at a time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment