Monday 14 September 2015

A history of Sent With Love

Welcome to the blog for Sent with love, a not for profit organisation that aims to send hand made blankets to adults diagnosed with cancer throughout the UK, regardless if type of cancer or stage of disease. 

Back in January 2013 I was treated for a soft tissue sarcoma, a cancer found in a nerve and I was lucky enough to receive a blanket from a group of Internet forum friends to keep me cosy when I needed it most. I don't think anyone could have realised the impact blanket zero would make not just to me feeling supported but to inspire me to go on to create Sent With Love.  A little over a year later, I enlisted the help of a few friends, and within a few weeks we had our first donations an nominees to receive a blanket. Sent with Love was well and truly born and touching people in ways I never could have imagined, yet as a cancer patient myself I was in the unique position to truly know the impact of receiving such an item. My blanket symbolises friendship, and the time and care that went into each square us truly evident, yes the standards vary greatly, but that makes it all the more special. People I had never met in real life felt touched in a way to help create something so wonderful that keeps me warm and helps remind me of the power of people and communities. This is what I wanted to pass on through SWL 

Since inception we have sent out over 130 blankets, not bad for 16 months work, and sent to all corners of the UK.  I'm extremely proud of Sent with Love and very thankful for the help I receive with it, without my friends it wouldn't be going anywhere, and without our generous supporters and crafters there would be no project at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment